Feature Interview, Star Of The Month

Friday, March 8, 2013

Kim from Yimmo89

Posted by The Craft Gossiper at 10:05 AM
WORDS WITH KIM
My name is Kim D Tran; the family consist of two older brothers and the parents and I am of Vietnamese nationality currently residing in Australia. Since coming into high school life hasn't been very smooth for me with lots of family and financial problems but somehow I'm still managing to pull through. I'm on my last year of University as a Medicinal Chemistry student but still don't know what life has in store for me.I've never been popular or fitted in anywhere but I'm happy with my small circle of friends. When starting to upload videos onto YouTube I felt like I've met people with similar interests for the first time. Even though I'm still a wee bit anti-social I'm so happy to have met all these people on the YouTube crafting community. Although I'm currently heading towards the science/pharmaceutical industry one of my dream jobs is still to open my own boutique that sells my own clothes and toys with a little cafe in the corner.

Kim, owner of Yimmo89 has garnered nearly 900 subsribers on YouTube and a total of over 31 000 views on her channel. She has quite the crafty hand with her amazing tutorials which are perfectly excuted and straight to the point which makes it really easy for beginners. I am especially inlove with her craft updates because everything she shows are made with such intricacy, you start to question if they are all from a dream. Kim's story intrigued me as she has used craft as an outlet to grow. Such an inspiration.

SNAPS WITH KIM
Pretty Kim striking a pose
Crafter at Heart
Mini Ramen Tutorial
Watch it HERE
Christmas Crochet Wreath
Watch it HERE
INTERVIEW WITH KIM
1. At what age did you start crafting?
I feel like I've always been rather crafty(not trying to boast), as a child I would build mini toy towns with my brothers using toilet rolls, popsicle sticks and tissue boxes; whatever's lying around in the house.

 2. Tell us how you decided to make videos for YouTube.
 I watched a lot of polymer clay tutorials and had no skill in that but then I started doing crochet after seeing so many cute amigurumis on Etsy.
When I saw razzmicstrawberry post a plushy contest I got really excited because I thought 'I can do this!'and so my first craft related video was uploaded.

3. What is your main goal on YouTube as a crafting guru? 
 I've never had any intent to get 'big' on YouTube but when I see people start crocheting or tell me I inspire them I can't help feeling really giddy and thankful.
I guess my main goal would be to get more people into crochet and knitting since a lot of people still associate it with older people.

4. What kind of videos do you make on YouTube?
My videos are based around any craft but mainly crochet which I think is why most of my subscribers came on board. Every now and then I do other crafts such as sewing, clay work and wood work.

 5. Do you sell your creations?
 I currently do not sell my creations due to the high shipping rates for Australia but possibly will if there is high demand in the future.

 6. What are other hobbies you have besides your forte?
 I'm not too sure if collecting manga and cds fit into hobbies? But I also occasionally play badminton and I am a big big gamer especially RPGs.

 7. How long do you see yourself on YouTube?
Crochet is an ongoing hobby and believe I will still be doing it till I'm an old frail lady so there will always be something for me to show as long as people are interested in watching.
I would say I see myself on YouTube until the day it explodes.

 8. What are your thoughts on the crafting community on YouTube? 
The crafting community on YouTube is a wonderful place! We give eachother tips and inspiration to be more crafty and creative. For me personally I find it quite hard to make new friends and I have met people with the same hobbies and interests as me which makes me feel less out of place and just overall thankful to this community.

9. User savvy tips for future craftubers? 
 I am by no means that great at filming and editing but I hope these tips can help. I feel camera quality is very important considering most of us are trying to show our work or making tutorials. It doesn't have to be top notch but there are a lot of videos that I can't make out what the person is trying to show.
Iphones are also used occasionally and I notice people film length wise and I urge you not to, the phone is able to film the normal horizontal way.
Lighting is also very important; you don't need professional lighting for your videos to look clearer. The best way to go about it is to have natural lighting but if you're like me and film in the middle of the night all you need is two lamps, one on each side of the camera and tape printer paper onto each of them.

 10. Inspiring message for us and your viewers?
I hope that everyone in the crafting community will not make their main goal to become famous. Be yourself, enjoy what you do and remember that there is always someone who's going to better at something than yourself. Don't be jealous and concentrate on getting better. Don't expect to become good at your chosen craft overnight and be happy with yourself with any improvement. Most importantly make sure you're enjoying what you're doing.

LINKS TO KIM
Subscribe to her YouTube Channel

4 comments:

anna lynn said...

KIMMY! MISS FLYING EGGPLANT <3 Love your interview!

CarmenPay_Craft said...

Yeah now i know how Kim looks like and you r so pretty :P

Unknown said...

thank you for the kind words :)

Unknown said...

Kimmyyyy!!!! You are so beautiful!! Reading your story has gotten me even more inspired by you. You are truly a gem ! Never stop doing what you do because the craft community would be void without awesome ppl like you. HUGGS !!! aiko

Post a Comment

 

The Craft Gossiper Copyright © 2013